Chuy's inspired Dip

Saturday, July 2, 2011


Thursday night was Girls Night Out. I love GNO. We went to Chuy's and then for a swim at Barton Springs. If you're in the are I recommend both.
I'm going out on a limb here and I fully realize I may be booted out of TX for this but in general I think Texas Mexican food stinks. There I said it and furthermore I stand by it. It's not that great. They pour so much queso on everything and I hate to break it to them but thats nothing more than velveta and some salsa and that doesn't impress me. Chuy's however is one of the Texas Mexican places I actually like. I LOVE me some Chuy's Creamy Jalapeno Ranch Dressing. After GNO (almost typed GNR - Welcome to the Jungle!) I knew I wanted to try this as my first jalapeno recipe.
I searched around and found a bunch of different copy cat versions. Some of them called for sour cream, some called for a bottle of ranch dressing and some called for mayo. I hate mayo. I hate the smell, I hate the feel, I hate the look. It's just icky to me. But so many of the recipes called for atleast some of it I decided I would compromise and do half mayo half sour cream. Sour Cream I love. My theory is everything is better with sour cream. Go ahead name a food and I bet it's better with sour cream. I like fresh over processed so this is the combination of recipes that made me the most happy.
1c Sour Cream
1c Mayo (mayo not miracle whip)
1/2C chopped Cilantro
2cloves crushed garlic
3 Jalapenos cored and seeded and diced up super small (I left about half the seeds in because I like a kick)
1 lime juiced
1/2 package of Ranch Dressing Mix (you know the dry powdery stuff)
dash of salt
2tablespoons buttermilk

Mix stir love enjoy.

It was good. My husband gushed. BUT, I could taste the mayo. I hate mayo remember? When I make this again I will stick to my guns and cut out the mayo.

1 comments:

Ben and Maggie said...

Tera,
You and I are food twins! I hate TX Mexican food. It's really all that I miss about AZ. I never wanted to try Chuy's because everywhere else that people said was good was actually rank. Thanks for introducing me to Chuy's. Yay for yummy food...and Girl's Night! Oh and I hate Mayo too. I put butter on my sandwiches.-Maggie

Post a Comment

Spotlight Ingredient Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino